How To Gain Access To The Network in SCS
Gaining access to the network in SCS for Windows and Mac.
Every computer must be registered in order to be allowed to access the wired internet in buildings managed by the School of Chemical Sciences IT. To initiate the process of registration email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Your Name:
- Building and Room Number:
- Label of Network Jack (e.g. HAP01-01):
- Operating System of Computer:
- Type of Device (Laptop, Desktop, etc.):
- MAC Address of Network Adapter:
- Open a command line by pressing the windows key and typing 'cmd' and hitting 'Enter' (this should bring up a Command Prompt)
- Type the command: getmac /v
- NOTE: there is a space between the "getmac" and the "/v "
- Find the line titled "Ethernet" (in red)
- Get the physical address listed for your wired connection (in yellow)
- Click on Go, then on Applications.
- In the Applications window, double-click on System Preferences
- In the System Preferences window, double-click on Network
- On the left side, look for your Ethernet adapter (in this case, it's an Apple USB Ethernet Adapter, in purple).
- Highlight it, and then click on Advanced (in blue)
- In the new screen (the Advanced window), click the 'Hardware' tab (in orange) to get your MAC address (in green)