Can I remove my middle name from the UIC Directory and my email 'From' name?
If you do not wish for your middle name or initial to appear in the UIC online directory, you will need to update your "preferred first name" (PFN).
You will type in the designated PFN field the way you wish your first name to appear minus your middle name or initial. Once this is updated it will update the way your name appears in the UIC directory and across all university systems including email. Your PFN must comply with the acceptable uses of preferred first names found here: Preferred First Name Statement.
Students: Login to the Banner Student Self-Service portal, selecting UIC, and using your NetID and password.
- From the list of links, select Personal Information
- On the resulting page, select Preferred First Name
- Enter, for example, just your first name and save your changes
- Once the change is implemented (may take several days to take effect), your middle name will no longer display.
Faculty/Staff: Login to My UI Info, using your NetID and password.
- Select My Profile
- Select Access My Profile and login with your NetID and password and 2FA.
- Scroll to the Demographic Information & Veteran Status section
- Select Edit
- Enter, for example, just your first name in the Preferred First Name field
- Select Submit
- Once the change is implemented (may take several days to take effect), your middle name will no longer display
Please note: A preferred first name may take several days to appear in all systems that display preferred first names.