Office 365 Desktop App Access
Effective August 23, 2020 campus licensing for Office 365 products changed. Some employee classes, including retirees and emeritus faculty will no longer have access to the desktop apps for free. They do however have access to the web based online version of Office products.
- Access to email can use the native email app on your phone and does not require an Office 365 license. More information can be found at KB 47591.
- Most software items are not available for purchase by retirees through the University. For more more information see KB 48268.
- The typical issue someone trying to run the desktop app will see after this change is that they have read only access in Word, Excel, etc. The user will need to open that file within the online version of Office 365.
- If you have an active (paid) appointment with the University and have a business need for the desktop software, have your department send a note to IT@Vetmed.illinois.edu indicating they approve purchase of the upgraded A3 license, the employee it is for, and the FOP to charge it to.
- Retirees without department funding who do not wish to use the online version should purchase Microsoft 365 For Home with personal funds.