Spam Control, Upgrade Issues FAQ (HD consultants)
Why did all my settings change after the upgrade?
Our campus Spam Control platform recently migrated to the cloud, and some user settings took longer and were not carried over as desired when we applied the fix.
Here are the 3 areas which were most affected:
- End User Digest (email notifications) sent incorrectly and sporadically.
- Spam Policies reverted back to the ‘DEFAULT’ policy.
- Safe senders and block listed senders did not carry over from the upgrade.
End User Digests
Q: What happened with End User Digests?
A: We discovered that End User Digests had unexpected behavior.
- Users first received 2 digest emails each day, instead of 1.
- ‘Empty’ Digests previously turned off by the user started up again.
- ‘Empty’ Digests no longer include hyperlinks leading to the web portal. (still investigating)
Action to Take: Help them update their settings to Stop daily digests or blank digests.
Spam Control Policies
Q: How were the Spam Policies affected?
A: We discovered that Spam Policies reverted back to the ‘DEFAULT’ Spam Policy, which is ‘Cautious Plus, No Quarantine.’ Even if the user had previously changed their policy.
- Reverting back to the DEFAULT, means they no longer have a Quarantine. They may be looking for their Quarantine.
Action to Take: Help them verify and update their Spam Policy.
Safe and Blocked Sender Lists
Q: How were the Safe and Blocked Lists affected?
A: We discovered that Safe and Blocked Lists did not carry over with migration.
- Users are expecting the ‘saved addresses’ they have personally added to Safe and Block lists to still be in place.
Action to Take: Lists should now be correct as of 1/27/21. Encourage them to review their Safe and Block Lists.
*Encourage users to manage settings on the web interface at: https://go.illinois.edu/spamdigest.