Canvas@Illinois - Requesting Guest (sponsored affiliate) Learning Accounts
For a single guest user, please follow these directions:
- Visit this page: https://go.illinois.edu/learning-guest
- Add your campus email address to the last space on the form:
>>> NOTE: please leave "campus", "campus unit" and "affiliation" fields at default values <<<
- Continue and completely fill out the next page of guest information and submit.
- You will receive an email receipt of submission, and the request will be forwarded to affiliate managers for approval.
- Following approval you can expect your new guest to be available in the the learning system within 12 to 24 hours.
Your sponsored account will receive instructions on identity access and password management.
How can I check on the status of my request(s)?
Visit this page: https://identity.uillinois.edu:11443/affilMgr/manager/listrequest
Why am I required to provide a birth date and gender as part of this process?
New affiliates are assigned a UIN. To obtain a UIN, these 3 pieces of information are required:
- Date of Birth
The iCard Office then uses this information to try and identify any previous relationship of this person with the University. They then will utilize this existing UIN before generating a new UIN. This is an important step as there are over 2 million UINs in use today.
What happens if a potential existing account is identified through this process?
You will be contacted by the iCard office to provide additional identifying information (example: the last 4 digits of your social security number)
What if I have a LOT of accounts to create and I don't want to "one-at-a-time" them?
You can provide an Excel file or CSV to the Technology Services Help Desk for bulk affiliate creation. In the message, please request that it be assigned to Canvas@Illinois Support-Operations. You will also need to provide the following bits of info for each potential user within the CSV or Excel file:
- First name
- Last name
- personal (non-Illinois) email address
- Date of birth
- Gender (M/F)
- End date (max. 1 year active)
What do I need to do once my NetID is available and I can login to Canvas?
- Access the Canvas@Illinois environment by logging on here: https://canvas.illinois.edu.
- Note: you will have to use the full Illinois email address provided to your new account (ex.: email@example.com)
- Once logged on you will have to change your Canvas contact preferences: How do I add contact methods to receive Canvas not... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)