Canvas@Illinois, Reset Groups After Importing Course Content
When you import a course with group sets, the original group set(s) are removed and instead default to a single “Project Groups” group set. You need to recreate the groups, and potentially create additional group sets, depending on your course needs. The sections below walk you through what’s needed depending on the number of group sets in your course.
One Group Set
If your course included only one group set, it’s easiest to rename “Project Groups” to the desired name.
- Rename the imported group set. By renaming this group set, any groups created within this set will automatically be connected to any pre-existing group assignments or group discussions. See the How do I edit a group set in a course guide.
- Set up the groups within the group set. We recommend including the course rubric (for example, "ANTH 101 Discussion Group #") so students can easily identify which course the group is associated with.
Two or More Group Sets
If your course includes multiple group sets, you need to: recreate your group sets, recreate the groups within the group sets, and reconnect your assignments and discussions to the correct group set.
- Rename the imported "Project Groups" group set. By renaming this group set, any groups created within this set will automatically be connected to any pre-existing group assignments or group discussions.
- Create any additional group sets that are needed for your course. At this stage, you may create the groups within your group sets but it is not required. When groups are created, we recommend renaming the group to include the course rubric (for example, “ANTH 101 Discussion Group #”) so students can easily identify which course the group is associated with.
- Edit each group assignment and/or group discussion to be associated with the correct group set.
Source: This article is based on the Canvas: Reset Groups after Importing a Course Site Knowledgebase article from the University of Minnesota.