System Government Costing - Fund Balance: Populating the Service Activity Rate Template
The adjusted fund balance and working capital should be calculated for every service fund. The over-under recovery should be calculated to determine if your fund has a surplus or a deficit. If you are over or under recovered, this impacts what you should charge your customers.
Complete the Expenditures, Equipment Depreciation, and Salaries and Wages tabs before completing the Fund Balance tab.
- You should already have run the Webi report to calculate the Fund Balance Report.
NOTE: See the Fund Balance: Running the Webi Report job aid for assistance.
- Open the saved Fund Balance Report and History Report in Excel.
- Click on Fund Balance tab. Note: the Fund Balance History tab is only for reference and is not necessary to populate the template.
- Copy the fund balance table for the 3E fund including headers and totals.
- Open a previously saved version of the Service Activity Rate Calculation Template if adding data to an existing rate calculation Excel file.
- Click on the Adjusted Fund Balance tab.
- Paste the fund balance table from the Fund Balance Report and History Report underneath the Calculations of Fund Balance Over/Under Recoveries section.
- Type in (or copy/paste) the Financial Fund Code for the fund from the Fund Balance table you pasted onto this tab.
- Type in the Financial Fund Title for the fund from the Fund Balance table you pasted onto this tab.
- Type in the End of Year Fund Balance amount for the fund from the Fund Balance table you pasted onto this tab.
NOTE: If the balance is negative (surplus), ensure that you input the negative value.
- Replace the titles Rate #1, Rate #2, etc., to something more descriptive. For example, Microscope Rate, X-Ray Rate, Truck Rate, etc. You may add or delete rate columns, as necessary.
- Click the Save button.