System HR - Creating a New I-9 In Person
Creating a New I-9 In Person
Step 1. Create the I-9
Use this method when the new employee is physically present to complete Section 1. Generally, the employee will use your computer to complete Section 1, and then you will examine their documents and complete Section 2.
This method can be used when the new hire is unable to access Tracker at home or otherwise needs to complete the process in person. The employee will need to have original documents for Section 2 at this meeting.
Start the in-person I-9 by clicking the Create I-9 button on the Employee Profile page:
Then, click the Create New Form I-9 option, and enter the Start Date:
Once you create the I-9 in the employee profile, Section 1 will immediately appear.
Step 2. Employee Completes Section 1
The employee must complete Section 1 by their first day of work. Ensure that the employee is able to see the full instruction sheet by clicking the link in the upper-right corner of the Section 1 tab:
Tracker organizes Section 1 into the following parts.
Employee Name and Identification
In the Employee Name and Identification section, the employee must complete the following:
- First/Given Name
- Middle Initial (enter N/A if not applicable)
- Last/Family Name
- Other Last Names Used (for example, maiden name; enter N/A if not applicable)
- Social Security Number
- Date of Birth (MM/DD/YYYY format)
Employee Address and Contact Information
In the Employee Address and Contact Information section, the employee must complete the following:
- Street Address
- Apartment (enter N/A if not applicable)
- Zip Code
- Telephone Number (enter N/A if not applicable)
- Email Address (enter N/A if not applicable)
Please note that the employee is not required to provide their telephone number or email address. However, if they do not provide them, then N/A must be entered to prevent empty fields.
Employee Employment Status
In the Employee Employment Status section, the employee must affirm his or her status as a citizen, noncitizen national, lawful permanent resident, or alien authorized to work. Certain statuses may require that the employee enter a document number:
- U.S. citizens and noncitizen nationals do not need to enter any document numbers here.
- Lawful permanent residents must enter their Alien Registration Number or USCIS Number. These are seven to nine digits; numbers shorter than nine digits must include leading zeroes.
- Aliens authorized to work must enter one of the following:
- Alien Registration Number or USCIS Number
- Form I-94 Admission Number
- Foreign Passport Number and Issuing Country
Validate & Sign
After all parts are complete, the employee clicks Save/Validate. If the employee has omitted any required fields, a popup will alert them to which fields are blank and that they will be filled with N/A. The employee has the option to cancel and review Section 1 if any field is mistakenly blank.
The final step is the employee signature. The employee must carefully read and review all information presented. Then, the employee confirms and enters their full name, their birthplace (as a security measure), selects “I Agree”, and affirms whether they did or did not use a translator or preparer. If a preparer/translator was used, they will complete their information as needed here. Finally, the employee clicks “Sign Form I-9 Electronically” to complete Section 1.
Step 3. Manager Completes Section 2
Section 2 must be completed by you, the I-9 manager, by the third day of work, and after the employee completes Section 1. The purpose of this section is to verify original documents that support the information provided by the employee in Section 1.
Important Note: You must not specify which documents that the employee presents, so long as the employee has either one List A document, or one document each from List B and List C. A full list of acceptable documents is available in the I-9 instructions. However, to fulfill E-Verify requirements, any List B document that the employee presents must have a photograph.
Employment Verification Documents
In the Employment Verification Documents section, you will select the document or documents presented by the employee. Ensure that the documents reasonably relate to the employee, appear genuine and original, and that they match the information from Section 1. You can see a summary of the Section 1 information by clicking the “View Section 1 Employee Information” link above Part A.
After selecting the documents, fill in the required information:
- Issuing Authority will generally populate based on the document.
- Document # must be entered. If you need help finding the correct number, hover over the circled “i” icon for information specific to the selected document.
- Expires must be the expiration date as indicated on the document.
Note: If you need to enter "D/S" in the expiration field for an I-94, it will auto-populate once you select the appropriate visa in the Additional Documents list.
If an employee presents a U.S. Passport, you must scan the passport ID page (the page with the photograph) and the barcode page (usually at the end). If an employee presents a U.S. Passport Card, Permanent Resident Card, or Employment Authorization Document, you must scan the front and back of the document and upload it to Tracker. Once uploaded, delete and do not retain other copies of the documents. You must not scan, retain, or attach any other files.
In the Employment Information section, enter the employee’s employment information:
- Employer will pre-populate as there is only one option, “University of Illinois”.
- Worksite is set to the department or unit into which the employee is hired.
- Business Name will automatically populate based on worksite.
- Start Date must be entered, and is the first date that the employee began work. Generally, this will match with the HRFE hire date.
In the rare case that the employee will be hired for three days or less, check the appropriate box, and ensure that Section 2 is completed by the first day of work.
Validate & Sign
Once complete, you must electronically sign Section 2:
- Your first name, last name, and title will pre-populate. Confirm the information is correct.
- Check the “I Agree” box to affirm that you have reviewed and verified, to the best of your knowledge, the information entered in Section 2.
- Click “Sign Form I-9 Electronically” to sign and complete Section 2.
If there are any mistakes found which prevent you from signing Section 2, correct them and try again. If you continue to experience problems, contact your central HR office.