Illinois Compass 2g, Temporary guest accounts for Illinois Compass or Canvas using Active Directory
How may a department grant guest access to course materials in Illinois Compass 2g?
Occasionally, departments request guest access for Compass or Canvas. These requests are fulfilled by the creation of an account in Active Directory (AD) by the following policies and procedures:
Active Directory Guest Accounts fall into two categories:
- If a department expects to only have a few guest accounts, these may be requested by using the sponsored affiliate process detailed in this Illinois KB article:
- If the department has more than 10 guest accounts or has IT Professionals to manage AD accounts on their own, the department' s IT staff can manage the accounts in their own Active Directory OU:
- All guest accounts must begin with the department identifier such as ler-, mg-, aosvc-, vetmed-.
- Note: the hyphen is required.
- No foreign characters or diacritical markings including tilde, diereses, etc, are allowed in a Compass user name, first name, or last name. Use the closest plain English character.
- The entire guest name must be 9 characters or longer (to avoid conflicting with U of I NetID namespace) but no longer than 20 characters.
- The password must be at least 8 characters and must contain at least a lower case letter, an upper case letter and a number, but no special characters.
- It is recommended that an expiration date be set.
- Once those AD accounts are created, email a .CSV file with NetID, First Name, Last Name and optionally an email address, (in that exact order), one account per line, to firstname.lastname@example.org. ic-ops (Illinois Compass Operations) will use a script to programmatically add them to Compass.
- (Optional) For lists of 20 or more guest accounts, include the course_ID so the guest accounts may be enrolled in the course site(s). If the request is for fewer than 20 names the instructor should add the guest accounts to the course site(s), manually.
Note: Technology Services cannot reset passwords for locally managed AD accounts. Department IT Pros will need to assist with password resets for accounts that have been created within their OU.
in the ticketing system.
Here are the guidelines for customers who manage guest accounts in their own Active Directory OU (Organizational Unit) much like we do with our ic2g- guest accounts. LER, Master Gardener, Continuing Education, Vetmed, UPCRC. The admin for each respective group creates/manages the accounts/passwords. This process does not change with the introduction of the new domain.