Email, How to set up email redirection
This page contains information about how to use the Email Redirection service for your Illinois email.
***Attention*** All Faculty and Staff will no longer be able to use EDE to set up forwarding for their email. Please refer to KB 110048 for further information.
We cannot control what happens to email when you forward or redirect it to another email provider. We've seen cases where email sent to @illinois.edu and redirected to another domain, e.g. @yahoo.com, has been tagged as spam by the receiving email domain. We are not responsible for missing mail to your personal email after it has been forwarded.
We encourage all University affiliates to use their provided campus mailbox to ensure all University email is properly delivered. In addition, by law your @illinois.edu business email is is subject to audit meaning that if you use your personal email account for @illinois.edu business then that account is also subject to audit.
How to Change Where Your Email Messages Are Delivered
Follow these steps to change where your email messages are delivered.
- Go to the Electronic Directory Editor (EDE).
- Log into the EDE with your NetID and NetID password.
- Once you have logged into the EDE, find the 'mail' field and replace it with one of the following:
- NOTE: Make sure that you type this email address correctly, or you will not receive your email.
Important: Do not leave this field blank or you will not receive your email! DO NOT ENTER YOURNETID@ILLINOIS.EDU
To receive email to your university Exchange account:
(Faculty, staff, graduate and professional students with Exchange accounts, or undergraduates with Office 365 accounts).
To receive email to your university Google Apps @ Illinois email inbox:
To receive email to your personal email address:
Enter: 'your personal email address'
- If your university email account is an Exchange inbox, you will also need to follow the steps in this article: 47608.
- If you have graduated and are leaving the university, see below.
- Click the Apply button at the top or bottom of the EDE webpage to save the changes.
NOTE: Changes to your email address may take up to 2-4 hrs to propagate to the email relays.
Redirection After Graduation
If you graduated after December 2012, you have lifetime email forwarding. Before your account is disabled (typically 1 year after graduation), you may enter a personal email address into the EDE mail field. Then, all email sent to your @illinois.edu account will be sent to that address.
- For general support please contact the Technology Services Help Desk.