Identity Management, How to create and renew Affiliate NetIDs
Instructions for the Help Desk on creating and sponsoring NetIDs.
The Sponsored NetID process is changing. Requesting a UIN separately is no longer required. The new process automatically makes a UIN request as part of the provisioning process.
In order to request or renew an Affiliate NetID (formerly sponsored netID) your department will need to be provisioned in the Affiliate NetID Manager. The business unit for your department can request this by going to the Affiliate NetID Manager Department Provisioning Request form. PLEASE DO NOT FILL OUT THIS FORM IS YOU ARE NOT PART OF YOUR DEPARTMENT'S BUSINESS UNIT.
Once your department has been provisioned to use the Affiliate Tool (check here to see if your department is provisioned):
Requesting an Affiliate NetID:
- Have the requester (person needing the affiliate netID) or sponsor fill out the form to create the affiliate netID.
- Once the request has been completed the Sponsor (formerly known as Proxy) will receive an email asking them to approve the requested affiliate netID. (Note: Sponsor must be on a university network in order to approve the request.)
- When the Sponsor approves the request through the email, the Unit Manager will receive a notice to review and approve/deny the affiliate netID request.
- If the Unit Manager is also the sponsor, only one approval will be needed.
- If the affiliate netID is approved, the requester will be sent two emails for them to claim their netID.
Renewing or Extending Affiliate NetID:
The Unit Manager can go into the Affiliate NetID Manager and extend the dates for the affiliate netID. Unit Managers will receive an email when affiliate NetIDs are about to expire.
These services must be requested by the sponsor of the NetID. A business case should be provided as to why the service is necessary. Business case and services requested will need to be a stand along request to firstname.lastname@example.org
Microsoft Exchange Email
If your sponsoring department has arranged for you to have a Microsoft Exchange account for email and calendaring services.You will have access within four hours of claiming your NetID. You will access your inbox at outlook.office365.com. Your email is your NetID@illinois.edu.
U of I Box Account
If a Box account was created for you, you can log in at https://uofi.box.com.