Illinois Compass 2g, Canvas, How instructors can share files that students can see but not download
Instructors using Illinois Compass 2g or Canvas can use the U of I Box.com service to share documents with students but prevent the downloading of the documents being shared. Instructors must upload the file to the U of I Box.com service, configure the sharing options, then copy and paste a link to the document in Compass or Canvas.
- On the popup window that appears toggle "Create shared link"
- Click the "Invited people only" drop down and select "People with the link"
- Click the drop down labeled "Can view and download" and select "Can view only"
- Click the button labeled "Copy" to copy the URL
- Add the link from Box as an External Link to a module: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-add-an-external-URL-as-a-module-item/ta-p/967
- Navigate to your Compass course page and go to a Content Area.
- Select Build Content > Weblink.
- Give the Weblink a name and paste the link from UofI Box into the URL field.
Students that click on the link will be brought to the page to view the document but will not be able to download it.