Canvas, How instructors can share files that students can see but not download
Instructors using Illinois Canvas can use the U of I Box.com service to share documents with students but prevent the downloading of the documents being shared. Instructors must upload the file to the U of I Box.com service, configure the sharing options, then copy and paste a link to the document in Canvas.
New users to UofI can log in at: https://box.illinois.edu/
Once the file is uploaded to U of I Box.com, click on the document to view it and then click the Share button in the upper right corner.
- On the popup window that appears toggle "Create shared link"
- Click the "Invited people only" drop down and select "People with the link"
- Click the drop down labeled "Can view and download" and select "Can view only"
- Click the button labeled "Copy" to copy the URL
- Add the link from Box as an External Link to a module: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-add-an-external-URL-as-a-module-item/ta-p/967