College of FAA: How To Manage Updates For UofI PCs
For more information, please contact Technology Services Managed IT Services via:
- Phone: (217) 333-1986
- The Web: http://go.illinois.edu/MITShelp
Technology Services at FAA uses MECM (Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager - used to be called System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM)) to manage updates and software installation for all Windows computers. This article explains how these updates and installations are performed. If you're not sure if your machine is managed via Technology Services at FAA, please visit here for details on how to find out.
Technology Services at FAA MECM Deployment Schedule:
Windows computers that are joined to the UofI domain have their software installations and updates managed by Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager (MECM). This allows Technology Services MITS Staff at FAA to remotely monitor and push out software to computers with minimal interruption to workflow. These updates will typically occur outside of work hours.
These updates depend on a computer that is connected to the UofI network. However, it is important to note that some software will not update if the application is open. It is recommended that customers log out at the end of the work day leaving their computer on so updates can take place.
Important! Work from Home users should attach to the campus VPN for a couple, or more hours per week so that updates can flow to their machine.
Customers will be notified of optional, recommended and required updates through the Configuration Manager Utility, which resides in the taskbar.
Any available software will be displayed here. Customers may also check the status of current installations and any previous installations under the associated tabs.
If neither of these are present / correct, your computer is not managed by MECM. This is normal for personally owned computers. If your computer is not managed by MECM, please create a HELP REQUEST at http://go.illinois.edu/mitshelp.
If your computer is managed by MECM, check the taskbar for updates from the Software Center.
- Any recommended or required programs and updates will show in this window. Make sure the “Show Optional Updates” box is checked. Select the updates you require and click “Install”.
- You can verify that the installation was successful under the “Installation Status” tab. Depending on the update, a restart may be required.
- While there, it is a good idea to check that the other settings are also correct. Under “Options”, you can adjust your typical work hours to benefit the manager. Also verify that the remote settings match the screenshot below.
- Remember that the weekly update window is Wednesday late night.