Kaltura, Make a video available for downloading
Making a video available to download via Kaltura
Occasionally the owner of a media asset wants to make a video available to download. Some common use cases involve distance learners with problematic internet connections, project collaborators, and general student viewing.
1. Go to My Media in MediaSpace, Compass2g, or Moodle2. Select the video you wish to make available for downloading3. Select Actions, then Edit4. In the editing tools, select the Downloads tab
- Available Formats: There are two MP4 versions available as download options (in most cases).
- Low: an MP4 file that will be encoded at a maximum bit rate of ~400Kbps, video width will be 640 pixels wide.
- This is a good setting if you want to allow students to have a lower quality version to view on a mobile device.
- High: an MP4 file assuming a video is a 720p HD encoding, likely 1280x720 pixels, and a maximum of ~2Mbps.
- A higher quality encoding that could be re-edited. These will be much larger files.
- Note that a video cannot be converted "up" in quality. If the original media file is of lower quality, such as an older standard definition video, there will not be a 720p version to share for download.
5. Select the format(s) you wish to make available. You can select one or both.6. Select Save7. We recommend you go to the media to confirm that the Download button is present, and that there are files visible to a viewer.
Who can make a video available for download?
Only a media asset owner or a co-editor can make videos available. More on Kaltura Collaborators
Where can the Download button be found?
Anyone logged into MediaSpace, Compass2g, or Moodle, that can see the video in a Media Gallery or Channel will see the Download option IF it is active for the video file. The general public will not have this option. The Download tab will be visible below the video. Within Compass2g and Moodle, if the video is embedded in a page via the mashup tool/in-context, the download option is not visible. It must be viewed in a gallery or channel within the LMS or MediaSpace.
An important note: If you make the video asset available for download in MediaSpace, Compass2g, or Moodle, the Download option will appear wherever the media asset appears in the other publishing locations. This is an example of the cross functionality of settings available in Kaltura publishing points.