Learn@Illinois Moodle - Setting up the Gradebook Using Percentages
Learn how to set up the gradebook using percentages--the most popular way to set up your gradebook. A percentage gradebook is particularly suited to classes that designate percentages for each element of the class and do not have precise point values determined for each activity before the course begins.
Make the Course Level Aggregation Type "Natural Sum of Grades"
See Make the Course Level Aggregation Type "Natural Sum of Grades" to make sure that your Gradebook setup page is set to "Natural Sum of Grades" at the course level.
Note: This is the default, but it is a good idea to double check.
Set up Gradebook Folders or "Categories"
- Attendance 10%
- Discussion Forum Posts 20%
- Assignments 30%
- Quizzes 10%
- Tests 30%
- In the upper right corner, click on the Actions menu gear.
- From the drop-down menu, select Gradebook setup.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Add category.
- Enter/select the following:
- Under "Grade category":
- To the right of "Category name", type in the name of your category (e.g. Quizzes).
- To the right of "Aggregation,", select Simple weighted mean of grades from the drop-down menu. This will weight your items according to their point values.
Note: "Mean of grades" will give all items in the category the same weight regardless of point values. Also feel free to select this option.
Note: "Weighted mean of grades" allows you to assign weights within the category that are different than the point value weights. Also feel free to select this option.
- Under "Category total", type in the percentage value in the "Maximum grade" field. For example, since quizzes are worth 10% of the grade, type in 10.
- Click Save Changes.
- Repeat the same process for each category.