Learn@Illinois Moodle - Deducting Points from a Student's Final Grade
Learn how you can deduct points from a student's final grade by creating a special gradebook item, making it extra credit, and inputting negative point values in the Single view interface. This will work for both percentage and points gradebooks.
For a permanent link to this information, please use: http://go.illinois.edu/MoodleNegativeGrade
- Make sure you are on the course homepage.
- Click Grades.
- Click Grader report and select Gradebook setup.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Add grade item.
- Enter the "Item name". In this example, it is called Deducted points. In the "Maximum grade" field, enter -0.01 and in the "Minimum grade" field, enter the most points you will deduct (e.g., if you want to deduct 10 points, enter -10).
Note: The Max grade needs to be negative, but by doing this it appears as a range of “-10--0” to students, leading to less confusion.
- Click Save changes.
- To the right of the grade item you have just created, click Edit and select Edit settings.
- Click the "Extra credit" checkbox, then click Save changes.
- The Max grade should display as "-0.01+".
- Click Gradebook setup and select Single view.
- Click Grade items.
- Click on Select a grade item and select your grade item (e.g., Deducted points).
- Toggle the Edit mode switch to on.
- Input negative point values. For students who are not being penalized, leave the field empty.
Note: If you have more than 100 students, adjust the display number in the "Items per page" drop-down at the bottom of the page to a number higher than the total number of students.
- Click Save.