EWS Labs, Remote Access, Connecting to EWS Linux with FastX
Connect to EWS Linux remotely using FastX
Use FastX to remotely connect to the EWS Linux environment. Engineering IT provides a browser-based interface as well as a desktop client.
Connect with the browser client (recommended)
- Connect to the campus VPN - follow the guide at https://go.illinois.edu/vpn
- Go to
- Log in with your NetID and Active Directory password
- Click on "Launch Session" and choose MATE. (Your browser pop-up blocker may complain here, but you can click "Go to my session")
Connect with the desktop clientDownload the latest FastX client: . Once the FastX Desktop Client is installed on your computer, follow the instructions below.
- Start FastX
- Click the 'plus' sign to add a new connection, and select “SSH”
- Enter the following information: (For macOS clients, use "fastx-mac.ews.illinois.edu" as the Host. Windows clients should use fastx.ews.illinois.edu as the Host.)
5. Select 'Save' after you have entered the above information
6. Double-click the connection
7. Enter your Active Directory password
8. Use the + icon to launch a new graphical session. MATE is the only available option. Double-click the MATE icon to launch the graphical session.
Notes on EWS' FastX configuration
- When you are done using FastX, log out of the session similar to how you would at a physical workstation. If you just close the FastX window, your session will be "disconnected". Disconnected sessions will be terminated after 10 minutes of idle time.
- If your internet connection drops, you should be able to reconnect to a disconnected session (within 10 minutes of being disconnected).
- EWS maximum session lengths (24 hours) are in effect for FastX sessions, and the error message FastX reports in that scenario can be scary looking. To avoid this, log out of unused sessions instead of letting them "idle out".
If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org