Learn@Illinois Moodle - Auto-creating Groups
Learn how to auto-create groups in your course. Auto-creating groups is particularly suited to making discussion groups for online courses or any time that you would like a group of students or all students in the course to be split evenly into random groups. You may create groups based on group size or number of members per group.
- In the menu on the left, click Participants.
- In the upper right corner, click the Actions menu gear.
- From the drop-down menu, select Groups.
- Scroll down and click Auto-create groups.
- Type a name for your groups, appending an "@" if you would like them to be lettered, or a "#" if you would like them to be numbered. For example, typing "M1 Discussion Group #" will create groups named M1 Discussion Group 1, M1 Discussion Group 2, etc.
- Would you like to create the groups based on number of groups or members per group? Select your desired option from the drop-down menu.
- Choose how many groups there will be or how many members there will be in each group.
- Create a new grouping (a group of groups) in which all of the new groups will be placed or select an existing grouping.
- Click Submit.