Paymybill - Who does not receive an IRS Form 1098-T?

The University will not issue a Form 1098-T to students if:

bluebox1 You do not have a valid Social Security Number on file with University of Illinois. To provide a valid Social Security number, download a W-9S form from the IRS websitecomplete it and return to your campus Registration Office.

UIUC Registrar
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign 
Registration Services Unit 
901 West Illinois St., Suite 140, MC-063 
Urbana, IL 61801 
FAX: 217-333-3100 

UIC Registrar
University of Illinois at Chicago 
Office of the Registrar 
1200 W Harrison St., Suite 1200 
Chicago, IL 60607 

UIS Registrar
University of Illinois at Springfield
Records and Registration 
One University Plaza
Springfield, Illinois 62703-540

bluebox2 They do not have a valid address.  To provide the University with a valid address: 
  • Log into the Student Self-Service website
  • Select "Personal Information"
  • Select “Addresses & Phones”
  • Select “Mailing Address” from the “Type of Address to Insert” drop down menu
  • Select “Submit”
  • Enter the required information
  • Select “Submit”
After you have updated your mailing address, email USFSCO Customer Service at  Note: Student Self Service will not update immediately – updates will occur at the end of each month. However, any information updated in Student Self-Service will be included in the final file transmittal to the IRS March 31st.

Under U.S. Department of Treasury Regulation §1.6050S-1(a)(2), the University is not required to provide Form 1098-T for the following: 
  • Students who are nonresident alien, unless the student requests the institution to file Form 1098-T; or
  • Students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or paid entirely with scholarships or grants; or
  • Students for whom the institution does not maintain a separate financial account and whose qualified tuition and related expenses are covered by a formal billing arrangement with the student’s employer or a government agency, such as the Department of Veterans Affairs or the Department of Defense; or
  • Courses for which no academic credit is offered, even if the student is otherwise enrolled in a degree program.

See Also:

Keywords:1098T, taxpayer relief act, tax form, Educational Tax Credit, American Opportunity, dependents, TRA, Lifetime Learning Credit, LLC, AOTC   Doc ID:91084
Owner:Kathy K.Group:University of Illinois System
Created:2019-04-16 11:17 CDTUpdated:2020-03-24 11:31 CDT
Sites:University of Illinois System
Feedback:  0   0