SCS Accident and Injury Response

Report all accidents and/or injuries that occur in SCS facilities in a timely manner.

If Injured:

1.   Help the injured person

Assist with first aid if you feel comfortable doing so (providing first aid is NOT a condition of employment)

2.   Alert other people

Notify, or have others notify, fellow coworkers, the PI/supervisor, safety officer, etc.

3.   Ensure the area is safe

Secure and/or evacuate the area as appropriate

4.  Determine the level of injury

Major – requires professional medical attention.

·      Call 911 immediately.
·     Arrange to have someone meet emergency personnel. Employees and/or students should NOT transport individuals with a major injury to the hospital.

Minor – offer medical care at a local healthcare facility

·      Employees, including students who are compensated for their work, should visit Carle Occupational Medicine (217-383-3313) or Safeworks Illinois (217-356-6150) weekdays from 8:00AM-5:00PM and the Carle or OSF Heart of Mary Emergency Departments after hours and on weekends

·      Students should visit McKinley Health Center (217-333-2701)

5.    Report the accident to DRS and SCS Safety personnel and complete the “University First Report of Injury/Illness” form.

·      Report form and further information available at:

If No Injury:

·      Contact DRS via email at or call them at 217-333-2755 to report the accident.

·      For more information on Incident Reporting and Investigation go to the following website:

Keywords:scs accident injury response report   Doc ID:98557
Owner:Danielle G.Group:University of Illinois School of Chemical Sciences
Created:2020-03-09 12:01 CDTUpdated:2022-10-31 11:23 CDT
Sites:University of Illinois School of Chemical Sciences
Feedback:  0   0