ACES Admin - Purchasing Computers and Related Equipment
This article will cover the process of purchasing new computers and equipment. When looking to purchase equipment for departments, there is a set of instructions that should be followed to ensure that all purchases are coordinated, reviewed and ensured to be the best choice for the situation at hand.
This is for College of ACES Administration Faculty & Staff ONLY
Steps for Purchasing New Equipment
1. Email Admin IT at email@example.com, with your office support staff person cc'ed in the message, describing the current situation and that you would like to explore purchasing new equipment.
2. Admin IT will reach out with questions and/or their recommendations for equipment that will help ensure that your workload is efficient and unaffected for as long as possible.
3. After conversations about preferences and descriptions of tech requirements, the new equipment will be agreed upon. Quotes will be given if they are applicable for easier purchasing.
4. Office Support Staff will perform the purchase and catalog important details for proper inventory and record-keeping.
5. Now it is time to wait for the equipment to come in!
Important Note: If it is a computer, Admin IT will be notified upon its arrival and perform necessary setup on it to ensure it is ready for you to use on day one of getting it.
When purchasing the equipment, certain people have to be involved to coordinate wants, needs, and information efficiently. This includes frequently used apps by the computer user, inventory information from office staff, and tech recommendations from IT pros. Each step helps ensure that tech is adequate for the user, the office staff, and the IT pros and everyone is happy at the end of the conversation.
Purchasing new equipment is a frequent item that comes up due to suddenly broken/faulty equipment or the new equipment cycle knocking on the door (and it is time to purchase the new line of products ready for the current tech environment).
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact your ACES IT Pro. You can find your department's IT contact information here: https://techsupport.aces.illinois.edu/departmental-it-offices