Instructions Regarding 4-H County Shows on the Website
Staff instructions regarding 4-H County Shows on the Extension Website
These instructions were sent out directly from the COMMs team regarding the creation of subpages on unit sites unique to each county 4-H shows.
Subpages will NOT be created for County Shows, instead Counties can create Events on the website.
Moving forward our plan will be:
- Continue to use your county 4-H program page for major documents if you wish.
- Create EVENTS for each element of your 4-H show where you can MORE EASILY include
- Registration forms (upload to your website and link in the “links” section)
- Showbooks (upload to your website and link in the “links” section)
- Times /Dates/contact information
- Create some short go links to each event. For example, go.illinois.edu/gallatindog21 which send folks directly to the event for the Gallatin County Dog Show in 2021.
- Why this way?
- Well, the show is an event; it naturally fits there.
- There are more things you can do on the event page vs a basic page.
- It’s probably the easiest content block to add on the website.
- Your content won’t get lost at the bottom of the page.
- You have a direct URL, unlike the tabbed sections on your local pages.
So what are the best practices for creating your event.
- First, when you name the event BE SURE to include the County FIRST. DO THIS: 2021 Gallatin County Dog Show DON’T DO THIS: Dog Show (Remember, every single event created on the website shows up to the world on the global site. If you just say Dog Show, no one will know whose show it is and it may confuse the public.
- Use a SPECIFIC day of your show, not a range of dates. DO THIS: July 3. DON’T LIST THE WHOLE SHOW: July 1-5. (Remember, the event disappears off your website after the first day of a multi-day event. No one will see it after the first day)
- Use a short go URL that makes sense to point to your event (Remember, when you market the go link , don’t include the "https://" DO THIS: go.illinois.edu/gallatindog21 DON’T DO THIS: https://go.illinois.edu/gallatindog21
- The links section is not JUST for registration; link to important documents; the state 4-H page for the project information, etc.