If you have the iPad and can sign onto it, but would like to remove the Activation Lock for ownership transference, it is a much simpler matter:
Turn off Find My iPad via Settings on iPad
- Go to Settings
- Select your name
- Scroll down to Find My iPad
- Toggle off Find My iPad
- Enter your Apple ID password, then tap Turn Off
Following the iPad's removal from Find My iPad, the iPad can be restored to factory settings (also known as a factory reset).
If an office is dealing with an iPad that has not been removed from Find My iPad and factory reset, professional Apple support must be involved.
Remove an Activation Lock via Apple Support
- Procure the PTag, serial number, and the following information from the Unit main office records, OR request it from the Extension Business Office:
- Billing information showing the iPad was purchased by UofI from Illini Union Tech Zone
- A screenshot of the Banner record clearly showing the serial number
- Purchase Order (PO) number
- Call Apple Education Support at the following number: 1-800-800-2775, menu option 3 for technical support.
- Select option 1 to indicate the iPad being owned by a university. Do not input anything else and wait for support to answer.
- Inform Apple support that you have an iPad owned by a university with a live Activation Lock due to a former employee who is non-compliant and out of reach.
- Read them the serial number and inform them you have proof of ownership.
- Apple will create a case number which will be emailed to you.
- Reply to the case with all the information procured.
- Following the provision of information, Apple will take 3-10 business days to unlock the iPad.