Close JupyterHub sessions
OverviewFollow this guide to close JupyterHub notebook sessions.
- Connect to the campus VPN and log into the JupyterHub URL provided by your course staff. Ensure the URL is prefaced with 'https://'.
- Follow the guide at the link below to close your JupyterHub session
For course staff
- Please direct students to follow the guide at the link below to close their sessions
- Connect to the campus VPN and log into the JupyterHub URL for your course. Ensure the URL is prefaced with 'https://'.
- Select 'Admin' at the top
- Select 'stop server' for select users, or 'Stop All' at the top to end all sessions. Note the 'Last Activity' and 'Running' columns to identify idle sessions.
- Course staff must regularly log in and close sessions to prevent the JupyterHub server from freezing
- If you cannot access the JupyterHub interface, you can still access the virtual machine hosting your course's JupyterHub instance via ssh and reboot the server.
- ssh <NETID>@<HOSTNAME># The hostname of your server follows the URL for your JupyterHub instance i.e.: https://phys999-jupyter.engrit.illinois.edu implies a hostname of phys999-jupyter.engrit.illinois.edu
- Once you are logged into the system, you can just run "sudo reboot" and the machine will reboot.
- Please note, the jupyterhub service on the server may take up to 15 minutes to start after a reboot.