How do I get a custom domain name for my website
Custom domains are available through the university domain registration service.
- The custom domain you would like
- Where your website is hosted
The following instructions apply only to third-level domains such as yourdomain.illinois.edu or non-edu domains such as .net or .org domains.
Third level domains are restricted to campus wide centers or endeavors, require approval from campus and are not free. They can only be paid for with university account numbers. There are guidelines for choosing third-level domains.
To request a third level domain or a non-.edu domain send the following to email@example.com
- Requested domain name
- Short description of the intended use for the domain
- University account name and number to which any registration fees may be charged ($10 per year for illinois.edu domains, plus additional charges per year for .net, .org, and .com domains.)
- Where the website is hosted. Do not request the domain before you have created a hosting location.
The additional steps listed above are also required for third level and non-.edu domains.