EWS Labs, Remote access to your EWS Windows home directory
This page will have documentation on how to access files in your EWS Windows home directory remotely.
If connecting to a network file share on campus, the wired network and IllinoisNet wireless will provide the network security requirements for establishing the connection. If you're off-campus, a Technology Services VPN connection using the "TunnelAll" option is required before the network file share can be mapped.
Below are instructions for Windows and Mac OS X. Please note that EWS support for personal devices is best-effort, and that these instructions are provided for reference only. EWS cannot guarantee that remote access to our systems will be compatible with your personal device.
- Open Windows File Explorer by clicking on the folder icon in the taskbar.
- Right-click on This PC and select Map network drive.
- A Map Network Drive window will appear. Select a Drive letter and a Folder path.
For Drive: select a drive letter not already in use on your computer.
To connect to your Engineering home folder, input the following with your netID: \\ad.uillinois.edu\engr-ews\YourNetID (e.g., \\ad.uillinois.edu\engr-ews\johndoe).
To have the drive available at all times, check the Reconnect at logon box. Please remember that if you are disconnected from the Technology Services VPN, you will receive an error message about the mapped drive until you are connected to the VPN again.
For non-university managed computers, check 'Connect using different credentials'.
- A Windows Security box will ask for login information for the network file share.
- If the connection is successful, a drive for the network fileshare will appear.
Mac OS X
- Click on the network icon on the menu bar and select "open network preferences"
- Click on the network adapter you are using in the left hand menu (probably Wi-Fi)
- Click on the advanced button in the lower right corner
- Click on the DNS tab
- Click on the small plus under the "search domains" column
- Add "ad.uillinois.edu" and "illinois.edu" (without quotes) to the search domains list
- Restart your computer and attempt to connect to your directory again.
- Open a Finder window.
- The Finder menu will appear at the top of the screen. Select the Go menu, then click Connect to server.
- A Connect to Server window will appear.
- An SMB File System Authentication window will appear.
For Name, enter your campus NetID.
For Password, enter your Active Directory password (same as Webmail).
If you have a box for Workgroup or Domain, enter "UOFI".
- If the connection is successful, a drive for the network file share will appear in Finder.