Topics Map > Printer Services
Topics Map > User Support
How to add an Engineering printer on Mac
Instructions for connecting to an Engineering College department printer. These instructions do not apply to Engineering Workstation (EWS) labs.
For an overview of printing at the Engineering College or instructions for non-Windows operating systems, see Engineering College Printing.
Step-by-step, with screenshots
- Go to Apple official website
- Download the latest available drivers and install them on the computer.
- Open System Preferences and click 'Printers and Scanners'.
- Click the small '+' symbol in the lower left corner of the window to add a printer.
- Press the Control key while clicking the "Default" icon (or any other icon on the toolbar), then choose Customize Toolbar from the contextual menu that appears.
- Drag the Advanced (gear) icon to the toolbar.
- Select the 'Advanced' tab. Fill out the fields as shown, and then click the 'Add' button.
- Type: Windows printer via spools
- Device: Another device
- URL: engr-print-01.engr.illinois.edu/printer-name (e.g. smb://engr-print-01.engr.illinois.edu/csl-1s-bw)
- Name: this is what the printer will show up as in your applications. Choose a recognizable name (e.g. csl-1s-bw)
- Location: a description of the location (optional)
- Use: this is the driver that will be used. If this field does not auto-populate with the correct printer model, you may need to select it yourself, or you may need to download the correct drivers from the Apple website first.
- The HP LaserJet 600 M602 printers support duplexing (printing on both sides). You may be prompted to configure the driver for duplexing during installation.
- When submit a job for printing, you will be asked to enter UOFI credentials
- Username: uofi\NetID (e.g. uofi\jsmith2)
- Password: Your regular NetID password (Note: If you accidentally used your computer password in this step, you can follow the Troubleshooting section below this to remove it)
If you have changed your NetID password recently, there is a possibility that a wrong or an old password is still cached in Keychain Access and it is using that password to print. You can clear that by following these steps:
1) Launch Keychain Access from the Launchpad
2) Click on "Passwords" on the left toolbar under “Category”
3) Look for an entry named "engr-print-01" by using the search bar on top right of the window.
4) Right-click on it and then delete it
After removing the entry, try printing again. When you print, it will ask you for your username and password, for which you can enter your NetID credentials (not your computer password).
Short URL for this page: http://go.illinois.edu/engr-printing-mac