Getting CS Class access to rooms in the Siebel Center
Instructions for faculty wanting to set up access to a room(s) in the Siebel Center for an entire class or class staff.
Initial Set Up
If a course has Elock access needs in the Siebel Center, Engineering IT can set up the course's Elock access so all students registered in a course and/or your course staff are given access in a streamlined manner. There is some initial set up required, that preferably should be completed before the start of the semester when the access is needed otherwise course staff or students may be locked out of their rooms. For the initial set up, Engineering IT would like to know the following:
- Course number (eg. CS 225)
- Name and NetID of the Professor requesting the access for their course staff or students
- The room number(s) that your course staff will need access to 24/7 (eg. for office hours, staff meeting, etc.)
- The room number(s) that the students enrolled in your course will need access to 24/7 (eg. for completing course work)
If a course's access has already been set up and there are no changes to the required accesses, you do not need to contact Engineering IT. Please simply update your course staff group by following these instructions: [Link for document 91603 is unavailable at this time]. If you would like to view which courses already have Elock access set up, please refer to this document: Computer Science Course Room Access at Siebel Center. If there are changes, please send all four bullet points listed above to email@example.com.
Managing AccessesThe process for managing the members of the course staff and students differ slightly, as explained below:
- For course staff needing Elock access: Faculty can edit their course staff AD or portal group to give or remove access for their TAs/CAs anytime during the semester. Managing this group allows the faculty greater control over their student's access without having to approve or send in multiple requests every semester for each student. For information on how to use these groups to add or remove students from your courses please refer to this document: [Link for document 91603 is unavailable at this time]. Please keep the following in mind as you self-manage this group:
- AD or portal group is an access list used to grant course staff permissions to various course tools including Class Tools on the portal. If you do not want to give your course staff elevated permissions for your course, but would still like to give your course, please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to find an alternative solution.
- As course staff are added/removed from the group, their access to the room(s) set up for the course will be automatically added/revoked, however, please note that there may be a delay of 1-2 business days from editing the group membership to the eventual Elock access change.
- Even though the members can be edited by faculty, the rooms accessible to these group members cannot be self-managed and requests to update the room list must be done by emailing email@example.com.
- For students registered in a course needing Elock access:
- All registered students will be automatically pulled from the course roster and will receive access to the rooms specified to Engineering IT during the initial set up.
- Faculty cannot manage the membership of this list as the list is directly being generated from the course roster.
- As students add/drop your class, their access to the room(s) set up for your course will be automatically added/revoked, however please note that there may be a delay of 1-2 business days from the add/drop date to the eventual Elock access change.
- If the list from the course roster will not work for your class, please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org to find an alternative solution..