Learn@Illinois Moodle - Using the Quickmail Block to Email Students
Learn how to use the quickmail block to send emails to groups of students within the class.
For a permanent link to this information, please use: http://go.illinois.edu/MoodleQuickmailBlock
Adding the Quickmail Block
If you do not see a Quickmail block in either the left or right column of your course site after scrolling all of the way down, add one.
- In the upper right corner, click Turn editing on.
- In the menu on the left, click Add a block.
- Scroll down and select Quickmail.
Composing and Sending Emails
- In the Quickmail block, click Compose Course Message.
- In this screen, you can select the email address the message is sent from, as well as specific groups who will receive this email and/or be excluded from this communication.
You may also personalize the email with data fields such as [:firstname:] (listed below), which will display the student's respective name, and add attachments by dragging and dropping.
- You can add a signature, schedule your email to send at a future date and receive a "send report" of your email and who received it.
Note: We recommend always sending your message as an Email (and not as a Moodle Message) and receiving a send report.
- Click Send Message.
- In the Quickmail block, click View Drafts to access draft emails. The emails will appear in a list.
- In this screen, you can edit, duplicate, or delete your draft.
Create or Edit Email Signatures
- In the Quickmail block, click My Signatures.
- Leave the drop-down to "Create New" to create a new signature or select the signature that you would like to edit.
In the "Title" field, enter a name for your signature, type in your signature, make it default if you wish, and click Save.