Learn@Illinois Moodle - Manually Export Your Course from Moodle to Canvas
Learn how to export a course from the Learn@Illinois Moodle and import this content into Canvas.
For a permanent link to this information, please use: https://go.illinois.edu/MoodleToCanvas
Request your new Canvas space on the Space Request Application
- Illinois Compass 2g, Request a Space for a Registrar-Affiliated Course (Detailed) (uillinois.edu)
- Please include “Canvas” in the Special Instructions area at the end.
- Do not proceed until you have verified that the new Canvas course space is available.
In your Moodle course
1. Click the gear icon and select Backup from the drop-down menu.
2. In Backup settings, uncheck “Include enrolled users” and any other items you do not want to include, such as calendar events or groups and groupings. Click Next.
3. Uncheck the items from the weeks/sections you do not wish to include and click Next.
Note: some external tools added in Moodle may not be added to Canvas.
4. Optional: Change the file name to something more recognizable
5. Review the Backup Settings and the list of items that will be included in the backup file, then click Perform backup.
6. A loading bar will appear on the screen.
Click the Continue button once it is complete.
7. Scroll down to the User private backup area to find your file and click Download.
In your Canvas course
1. Navigate to the new course shell created earlier.
2. On the right-hand menu, click Import Existing Content.
3. For “Content Type” choose Moodle 1.9/2.x.
4. On this page, choose the options you want for your course.
- Click the Source button and navigate to the backup file you downloaded from Moodle and select it.
- Choose if you want to import a question bank or create a new one
- Choose whether you want to import all content or select specific content.
- Choose whether you want to adjust events and due dates.
- Once this is completed, click Import and the import process will begin.
Note: If you chose to import only select content, the importer will pause and allow you to select the content you would like to import.