Learn@Illinois Moodle - Using the Question Bank
Learn how to use a question bank when creating quizzes. The question bank is where you will create and manage questions that are used in the Quiz activity. Questions can be organized by category. Learn how to create categories, add questions, and follow best practices when using the Question bank.
Creating Quiz Categories
- Makes questions easy to find when assembling exams
- Allows you to use the randomized question type, making it harder for students to cheat
- Allows questions to be reused in multiple different quizzes
- In the upper right corner, click on the Actions menu gear.
- In the drop-down menu, click More.
- In the "Course Administration" tab, click Categories.
- To add a category, scroll to the bottom of the page:
- In the "Parent category" drop-down, select a category to contain this new category.
- In the "Name" field, enter a name for the category, e.g., Week 1 Quiz.
- Note: We recommend leaving the "Category info" blank, as it can make the display very cluttered and does not add very much value.
- Click Add category.
Adding Quiz Questions to the Question Bank
- In the upper-right corner, click on the Actions menu gear.
- In the drop-down menu, click More....
- To add a question, click Create a new question...
- Choose a question type from the list, and then click Add.
- Make sure to select a category from the "Category" drop-down menu to keep your Question bank organized.
- Enter your question. (The settings vary based on the question type.)
- Click Save changes.
- If you are creating many quizzes, we recommend creating all of the needed categories before adding questions.
- Make all questions in the question bank first and then make the quiz.