Learn@Illinois Moodle - Using Groups with Forums
Learn how to use groups with forums in Moodle. Small groups of students are best to facilitate sustained, meaningful discussions. We recommend groups of 5-7 active students.
- No groups – There are no groups, everyone is part of one big community.
- Separate groups – Students can only see their own group. Students may not view or contribute to the discussions of other groups.
- Visible groups – Students may view but not contribute to the discussions of other groups.
Setting up Groups and Selecting a Grouping for your Forum
- Click on the forum you would like to edit.
- In the upper right corner, click the Actions menu gear.
- From the drop-down menu, select Edit settings.
- Scroll down and click Common module settings to expand the options.
- Under "Group mode", click on the drop-down menu to select the kind of groups you would like to use.
- If you are using groups (Visible or Separate), you must select a grouping.
Note: "Groupings" are groups of groups. They must be manually created.
- Click Save and return to course.
Toggling Quickly between Group Modes Once Groups are Set up
Instructors will often change from separate groups to visible groups after the due date for replies has passed. This allows students to focus their attention on their own group discussion during the discussion period, but also allows them to see what other classmates had to say. To toggle between groups:
- Click the Turn editing on button.
- Click the person icon to the right of the forum that you would like to edit.
Note: The default is the "No groups" option with a blue person icon.
- After clicking once, you will see the "Separate groups" icon with a solid blue circle background.
- Click again for the "Visible groups" option with a white circle background.
- Feel free to click repeatedly until you get the setting that you would like.