Topics Map > Learn@Illinois
Learn@Illinois Moodle - Excluding a Grade for a Specific Student
For a permanent link to this information, please use: http://go.illinois.edu/MoodleExcludeGrades
Method 1: In the Grader Report
- Click Grades.
- In the upper right corner, toggle to Edit mode.
- Search for the appropriate student and grade item. Click the Edit grade gear icon.
- Check the "Excluded" checkbox.
- Add a comment in the "Feedback" box that this grade is excluded and why. Otherwise, there is no indication to the student that this grade has been excused/removed. This can also help other teachers in the course understand what is going on.
Note: You may also check the "Hidden" box so that the assignment does not appear for the students when they view their grades.
- Click Save changes.
Method 2: In Single View
- Make sure that you are on your course homepage.
- Click Grades.
- Click Grader report and select Single view.
- Click Grade items.
- Click on Select a grade item to expand the drop-down menu and select the desired activity.
- Click on the edit mode toggle button to turn editing on.
- In the Exclude column, check the checkbox next to the student(s) you would like to exclude the grade for.
- In the "Feedback" box, you may add a comment that this grade is excluded and why by also checking "Override." Otherwise, there is no indication to the student that this grade has been excused/removed. This can also help other teachers in the course understand what is going on.
- Click Save. The grades will then recalculate.
- You may go back to the Grader report and note that the word "Excluded" is now displayed in red and the cell is highlighted in yellow for the excluded assignment.
Email us at email@example.com if you have further questions about how the grade is calculated with the exclusion. Let us do the hard work for you! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a quick and easy gradebook consultation.