Learn@Illinois Moodle - Excluding a Grade for a Specific Student
Learn how to excuse a particular student from an activity by excluding a particular activity from their final grade. You can do this (1) in the Grader report or (2) in Single View.
For a permanent link to this information, please use: http://go.illinois.edu/MoodleExcludeGrades
Method 1: In the Grader Report
- In the menu on the left, click Grades.
- Click Turn editing on.
- Search for the appropriate student and grade item. Click the cell. In the box that appears, click the Edit grade gear icon .
- Check the Excluded checkbox.
- Add a comment in the "Feedback" box that this grade is excluded and why. Otherwise, there is no indication to the student that this grade has been excused/removed. This can also help other teachers in the course understand what is going on.
Note: You may also check the "Hidden" box so that the assignment does not appear for the students when they view their grades.
- Click Save changes.
Method 2: In Single View
- Make sure that you are on your course homepage.
- In the upper right corner, click the Actions menu gear.
- From the drop-down menu, select Gradebook setup
- Expand the drop-down menu at the top of the page and select "Single view".
- On the upper right in the "Select grade item" drop-down menu, select the appropriate activity.
- In the "Excluded All/None" column, check the checkbox next to the student(s) you would like to exclude the grade for.
- In the "Feedback" box on the right, add a comment that this grade is excluded and why. Otherwise, there is no indication to the student that this grade has been excused/removed. This can also help other teachers in the course understand what is going on.
- Click Save.
- A confirmation that the grades were set will appear. Click Continue.
- The grades will then recalculate.
Note: Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have further questions about how the grade is calculated with the exclusion.
- You may go back to the Grader report and note that the word "Excluded" is now displayed in red in the cell for the excluded assignment.
Let us do the hard work for you! Contact email@example.com to schedule a quick and easy gradebook consultation.