Learn@Illinois Moodle - Choice Activity
The Choice Activity is a simple tool that allows students to choose from a finite list of options (topics, time slots, etc). Instructors may also use this tool for students to quickly take a vote on one simple question.
For a permanent link to this information, please use: http://go.illinois.edu/MoodleChoice
Examples of Using Choice Activity
- Choosing a topic for a discussion or a book to review
- Signing up for office hour or project meeting times (Scheduler may be a better tool in some cases)
- Choosing whether to take the final during the regular or conflict time
Frequently Asked Questions
- What if I need to ask more than one question?
For multiple question surveys, try the Questionnaire Activity or the Feedback Activity.
- What do the limits on the options mean?
The limits refer to the number of students who are allowed to select the option (if only 1 person should select this option, set it to "1"). Be sure to set the option "Limit the number of responses allowed" to "Yes."
- What if I don't want students to see the results of the Choice activity?
Go to "Edit settings." Under "Results," you can modify the privacy options. There is an option "Do not publish results to students" in the "Publish results" drop-down menu.
- I want my students to choose their groups, is the Choice Activity a good tool for this?
No. You will want to use the Group Choice Activity.
- When limiting the number of students per option, be sure that there are enough slots available for the total number of expected responses.
- Communicate dates in a way that is easy to maintain:
- Rarely use hard due dates (e.g. September 22, 2017) - opt for relative dates (e.g. Tuesday of Week 1) whenever possible
- Use the year when typing hard due dates so that if it does not get updated, it will be clear that this is the wrong date.
- When you would like to collect submissions at midnight, consider using 11:55pm instead. Students are often confused when something is due on Monday at midnight, but the system says that it is due on Tuesday at 12:00am.