Learn@Illinois Moodle - Adding Extra Credit
Learn how to add extra credit to your course. Do this by adding a manual grade item worth one or several percentage points of the final grade.
For a permanent link to this information, please use: http://go.illinois.edu/MoodleExtraCredit
- From your course homepage, click on Grades.
- Click on Grader report to expand the drop-down menu and select Gradebook setup.
- See Make the Course Level Aggregation Type "Natural Sum of Grades" to make sure that your Gradebook setup page is set to "Natural Sum of Grades" at the course level.
Note: This is the default, but it is a good idea to double check.
- Click Add grade item.
- Under "Grade item", enter the "Item name" and "Maximum grade".
Note: For a gradebook using percentages, entering a 1 for the "Maximum grade" will add 1 percentage point to the student's final grade point average. For a gradebook using 1000 total points, entering a 10 for the "Maximum grade" will add 1 percentage point to the student's final grade point average.
- At the bottom of the page, click the blue Save changes button.
- Next to your new grade item, click "Edit" and select Edit settings.
- Under "Parent category", click on the Extra credit checkbox.
- Click Save changes.
- Check that the grade item to confirm that there is a small "+" to the right of the points value. This verifies that the grade item is now extra credit.
- At this point, look over the gradebook and verify that the point totals have not changed by adding extra credit.
- If you have set up your gradebook using percentages, make sure that the weight and the total for each category are the same and reflect the desired percentage in the course.
- If you have set up your gradebook using points, make sure that the "Course total" is the desired amount (usually 1,000).