Learn@Illinois Moodle - External Tool Activity
Learn how to use the External Tool activity. This enables students to interact with learning resources and activities on other web sites. For example, an external tool could provide access to a new activity type or learning materials from a publisher.
Examples of Using External tool Activity
- Connecting to Packback, Illinois Media Space Video Quiz, Digication e-Portfolio, or Cengage
- Connecting to another tool automatically based on the tool URL
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do External tools differ from URL resources?
External tools are context aware (i.e., they have access to information about the user who launched the tool, such as institution, course and name); they support support reading, updating, and deleting grades associated with the activity instance; and External tool configurations allow secure communication between your site and the tool provider.
- How do I set up a connection to an site/service that is not already in External tool?
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss whether this may be possible.
Groups and Groupings
- See our Groups and Groupings page for more information.