Learn@Illinois Moodle - Setting up the Gradebook Using Points
Learn how to set up a simple points gradebook. To use the points gradebook, all assignments and their precise point values must be established before the course begins. When assignments are altered or deleted, it affects the weight of all other items in the gradebook.
Do the Math
|Discussion Forum Posts||20%|
|Discussion Forum Posts||200 points|
|Attendance||100/1= 100 points each|
|Discussion Forum Posts||200/8 = 25 points each|
|Assignments||300/6 = 50 points each|
|Quizzes||100/2 = 50 points each|
|Tests||300/2 = 150 points each|
Edit Maximum Grades
Make the Course Level Aggregation Type "Natural Sum of Grades"
See Make the Course Level Aggregation Type "Natural Sum of Grades" to make sure that your Gradebook setup page is set to "Natural Sum of Grades" at the course level.
Note: This is the default, but it is a good idea to double check.
Optional: Use Categories in a Points Gradebook Setup
Create Categories in the Points Gradebook:
If you choose to set up categories, make sure that your category folders are all set to "Natural (Sum of grades)".
- In the upper right corner, click the Actions menu gear.
- From the drop-down menu, select Gradebook setup.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and click Add category.
- Enter/select the following:
• Under "Grade category" -> "Category name" type in the name of your category (e.g. Quizzes).
• Under "Aggregation," select "Natural (Sum of Grades)," which should be the default.
- Click the Save changes button.
- Repeat the same process for each category.
Creating a Category to Drop the Lowest Grade
If you need to drop the lowest quiz/assignment/etc., you will need to create a category for that type of assignment. Please see our help page Dropping the Lowest Score for more information.