Learn@Illinois Moodle - Creating Subgroups
Learn how to create subgroups of groups in your Moodle course. This is most commonly used to create discussion groups for online courses that have several sections.
For a permanent link to this information, please use: http://go.illinois.edu/MoodleSubgroups
- In the menu on the left, click Participants.
- In the upper right corner, click the Actions menu gear.
- From the drop-down menu, select Groups.
- Here you will see a list of all of your groups. Scroll down to the bottom and click Auto-create groups.
- Under "General", fill in the following fields:
- Naming scheme: In this example, the "Naming scheme" is called Section 1 Discussion Group @. The discussion groups that are auto-created will be called Section 1 Discussion Group A, Section 1 Discussion Group B, Section 1 Discussion Group C, etc. If you would like the groups numbered (e.g. Section 1 Discussion Group 1, etc.), you may simply exchange the '@' for a '#'.
- Auto create based on: Specify whether you would like to create the subgroups based on the number of "Members per group" or "Number of groups."
- Group/member count: Designate the number of members or groups.
- Under "Group members," go down to "Select members from group" and select the name of the group that you would like subgroups for. In this example, we are creating discussion groups for Section 1.
- A Grouping is a group of groups. In the "Grouping of auto-created groups" field, select "New grouping". To make your auto-created groups easier to find later, we suggest that you use the same naming convention as you did for the "Naming scheme." In this example, we are calling it Section 1 Discussion Groups.
Note: If you have already created a grouping that you would like to use, you can select that instead of creating a new one.
- Click Submit.