Learn@Illinois Moodle - Entering Zeros for Empty Grades
Learn how to quickly enter zeros for incomplete activities. When zeros are not entered, grades can become artificially inflated or deflated. The best way to turn empty (unentered) grades into zeros in batches for each activity is to use the "Single view" "Perform bulk insert" function.
For a permanent link to this information, please use: http://go.illinois.edu/MoodleEnteringZeros
- In the upper right corner, click the Actions menu gear.
- From the drop-down menu, select Gradebook setup.
- From the "Gradebook setup" drop-down menu, select Single view.
- Under the "Select grade item" drop-down menu, select the activity that you want to grade.
- At the bottom of the page, check the "Perform bulk insert" checkbox and leave the default settings the same (i.e. "Empty grades;" 0). This changes all missing/empty grades of the students displayed on this page for this activity/item to 0.
- Click Save.
- The number of updated grades will display. Click Continue.
- Repeat steps 4-6 to batch enter zeros for other activities.
We encourage you to take advantage of our quick and free gradebook audits to make sure that your gradebook is ready for entering final scores. Please contact email@example.com to request a gradebook review or schedule an in-person consultation.