Topics Map > Vetstar > How To Articles
Vetstar - Add a New Patient to an Account
Follow the steps below to create a new patient acvount.
Only create a patient after thoroughly verifying that the patient is not already on the account.
- Go to the Home screen and ensure that you have the proper client account up.
- Type 3 for Patient Master and press Enter. (You can also select 9, Patient from the menu at the left of the screen and then select Patient Master..)
- Press F5 or select the Add button to go into Add mode. (Ensure that the status bar in the lower right corner says Add)
- Begin by entering the patient name the complete the rest of the patient information entry. (VERIFY proper spelling.)
- Important: Verify Proper spelling of the patient name. If you make a mistake you cannot fix it and must email medical records.
- Tip: Be sure to enter through the field versus using tab. This will ensure you do not skip fields.)
- Enter through the Med. Rec # and Staff Doctor, it will auto fill with House Account. (Exact procedure may vary by department, please verify you your manager.)
- Breed: open a window by pressing F4 or double clicking in the field and then search and select the correct breed.
- Color: F4 or double click the field and search/select the color
- Sex: F4 or double click the field and choose the correct sex. Most commonly used:
- M - Male Intact
- C - Male Castrated
- S - Female Spayed
- F - Female Intact
- Birth:enter the date of birth date with no slashes. (Example: January 1st, 2012 would be entered as 010112)
- Tip: If the actual birth is not known but the owner says 4 years, you can type 4 in the Birth field and the date will auto fill back 4 years from today's date.
- 1st visit: enter today’s date if this is their first visit.
- Alert 1: and Alert 2: F4 or or double click the field to enter a patient alert.
- To enter additional information Examples: you can enter the Co-owner’s name, or additional rDVM.
- Referring Vet: F4 to lookup.
- Important: It is very important to pick the correct one or records will be sent to the wrong referring vet.) Look address, phone, etc. that matches.
- You will NOT, come back to this screen to update rDVM information. That should be done on the registration screen OR contact Medical Records with the update.
- Enter through the rest of the the options.
- Alias Names: this may be used if the registered name of the pet differs from the commonly used name. For example: Itsy Bitsy is registered name but the patient is called Bitsy.
- Alerts: Use alerts to communicate information about the patient. For example: pateint bites, agressive dog, etc. F4 to lookup and select.
- Do not use alerts for important thing regarding the patient or owner that should be updated within their records.
- F3 to save.