Topics Map > Vetstar > How To Articles
Vetstar - Client Communications Screen
Vetstar Client Communications Log screen provides a tool for recording communications with clients and referring veterinarians. When communications comments are finalized immediately after they are written, they become part of the patient’s electronic medical record.
- Click on the Comm. Log button on the left side of the screen
- Enter quick command cc for all communications on an account or cc2 for patient specific communications
Add a communication
- Click on the Add icon at the top right or press F5 . (The Add button will turn red and the mode bar at the bottom of the screen will say ADD.
- Complete communications information one field at a time (see below for detailed instructions on each field). Press the Enter or Right Arrow key to advance from field to field.
Communication data entry field info
- Type the code followed by the Enter key (you may also enter the method using text such as ‘phone’.
- p for phone
- m for mail
- i for in person
- There is a lookup Window available in this field: press F4 or click on the Window icon at the top of the screen, then press the Enter key, to see available codes.
- t for To
- f for From
- C to enter the client’s name,
- PC to enter the primary care/referring veterinarian.
- If you spoke with someone not listed on the Vetstar account, such as a relative or friend of the owner, leave the Contact field blank and include that information in the ‘Spoke To’ field.
- Defaults to the contact from Vetstar if you entered a code not the Contact field. If you spoke to someone else, such as a trainer or co-owner, please enter that information along with his or her full name in this field.
- This is an optional field.
- Press the Enter key to access the comments screen and write your comments.
- When in the Star Reports editor, you cannot use the keyboard to move out of the screen (e.g. save, finalize, or cancel). You must use the mouse.
- You can copy and paste by right clicking in the editor and choosing the appropriate action.
- Finalize your comments immediately after you are finished.
- Click on the Verify button on the right side of the screen. (In order to sign/verify your communication, you must be signed in as the operator in Vetstar.)
- Enter your PIN at the prompt (Your pin is a unique password that equivalents your electronic signature.)
Save Your Work Frequently
- If you are interrupted while entering your comments, you may save them to finish and finalize later. Click on the Save or press the F3 button.
- You will be returned to the Communications screen. Press F3, or click on the save button to Save out of this screen.
Viewing All Communications
- To view all communications, click on the Report button found on the right side of the communication screen.
- Click okay, once in the communication screen click on the Addendum and enter additional information and click Verify when finished.
- If a communication has been finalized/verified, and additional information needs added, you may enter the finalized communication, and add an additional addendum.
- Click on the communication to be updated and click on the Notes button , located on the right side of the screen.
- To change an existing communication, select your patient’s account and re-enter the communications screen.
What to do if you make a Mistake
- If you make a mistake and a finalized communication needs to be corrected, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.