Information on working from home and other remote locations. Preparation, testing, featured how to documents, and searching for more answers.
Preparing to Work Remotely Checklist
Test Ahead of Time
- Log into Zoom at least one time to ensure your account is setup and fully installed on your computer.
- Log into Skype at least one time to ensure program is setup and you know how.
- Know the network drives you use for file storage (\\fido\YourFolderNameHere\): Discover my Network Drives
- If your university laptop has been off for awhile, power it up while at work. If powered on, restart to apply updates, get security patches, and current virus protections.
University Laptop Setup
Take your laptop home ahead of time and test the following:
- Connect to home WiFi
- Log-in / launch commonly used apps
- Launch the VPN if needed to use your common apps and connect to share drives (files)
- Make a phone call with Skype, test your mic and sound
- Launch a Zoom meeting
Non-university Computer Setup
- Open your email in a browser with Outlook Web App
- Setup and run a Vet Med RemoteApp that you have access to
- Remote into your work computer
- Test call forwarding from work if applicable.
- Test the Skype App on your mobile device if using.
Items to bring home
- Laptop power cable
- 2FA token
Working from Home How Tos
Access email and calendar from anywhere (OWA): [Link for document 78572 is unavailable at this time.]
Virtual Private Network (VPN)
How to setup a VPN: [Link for document 78548 is unavailable at this time.]
Remote Application Setup
Note: Network drives can also be accessed by a non-university computer if a VPN is running on that computer.
Skype for Business:
- Logging into Skype: [Link for document 78566 is unavailable at this time.]
- Skype how to quick instructions list: Skype for Business, Using it on Windows
- Skype training videos: [Link for document 79329 is unavailable at this time.]
- Setup Skype for Business on a Mobile devices (take work calls at home and IM): [Link for document 78568 is unavailable at this time.]
- Forward work calls to another number: [Link for document 78568 is unavailable at this time.]
Knowledgebase General How Tos: