VTH Small Animal Restraint
VTH Policy # PtHand907
|Implementation Date: 4/3/2017||Date of Last Revision: 02/14/2020||
Next Review Due: 02/14/2021
|Reviewed by VTH Administrative Team: N/A||Presented to VTH Board: 01/26/2017|
|Reviewed by Legal Counsel: N/A||Reviewed by Biosecurity Subcommittee: N/A|
Subject to modification by the VTH Director without approval.
All small animals must be restrained while in the VTH for the safety of all staff, students, pets, and pet owners. Retractable leads are not acceptable.
Animals not in their assigned cage or run space are to be restrained. Canine patients will be restrained by owner or VTH-provided leashes to reduce patient-to-patient interactions unless medically contraindicated. Retractable leads are not appropriate for patient restraint and will be removed from the pet and given to the owner. Feline and Zoological Medicine patients will be restrained by client or VTH-provided carriers.
Procedure (if applicable)
All employee and student-owned animals must be restrained while in the VTH for the safety of all pets and pet owners. Animals not in their assigned cage or run space are to be on a leash or in a carrier.
- The patient is registered at the front desk by Client Services Staff.
- Client Services Staff provide the owner with a VTH lead if needed and appropriate instructions to use the leash while in the hospital.
- The client puts a leash on the patient and may also continue to use their personal collar and leash (except for retractable leads) while in the clinic if preferred.
- For dogs being admitted, the client-owned collar and leash is removed and given back to the client.
- The client assumes responsibility for retaining the personal collar and leash until the time of discharge when the client picks up their pet.
- Client repositions personal collar and leash; VTH leash may be given back to Client Services Staff at patient discharge or kept by the client for future visits.
Feline and Zoological Medicine Patients
- Patients will reside in client-owned carrier while in common areas.
- Clients presenting without a carrier will be provided a cardboard carrier by Client Services Staff.
Definitions (if applicable)
Retractable lead: any leash that contains a mechanism that allows the owner to adjust the distance the pet may wander while walking with the handler.
Veterinary Teaching Hospital (VTH) – The collective clinical services of the Large Animal Clinic, Midwest Equine, the Small Animal Clinic, and the Veterinary Medicine South Clinic.