Use of Laundry Equipment and Laundry Protocols
VTH Policy #Bio411
Implementation Date: 6/10/2009
Date of Last Revision: 2/6/2020
Next Review Due: 2/2023
Reviewed by VTH Administrative Team: N/A
Reviewed by VTH Board: N/A
Reviewed by Legal Counsel: N/A
Reviewed by Biosecurity Subcommittee: 2/6/2020
Subject to modification by the Biosecurity Subcommittee of the CVM Occupational Health and Safety Committee without approval.
- Most hospital linens are provided and laundered by an outside source, Cintas.
- Use of laundry equipment in the Veterinary Teaching Hospital (VTH) is still needed for some specialty items. The usage of the VTH laundry equipment is outlined below.
- Laundry facilities may only be used for clothing and bedding used within the VTH.
- The procedures contained within this policy are consistent with CDC and OSHA guidelines.
LAC Central Sterile – Room S-29 LAC
Central Laundry – Room 72 SAC
Procedure (if applicable)
- Cintas provided linens are delivered to individual VTH service areas by VTH personnel.
- Soiled Cintas provided linens and approved NOG items are collected in Cintas provided bins in each service area. VTH personnel collect and replace the bins as needed.
- Washing Soiled or Contaminated Material
3.1. Handle soiled and contaminated laundry as little as possible.
3.2. Bag or place in containers all soiled and contaminated laundry at the location of use.
3.2.1. Do not sort or rinse in the location of use.
3.3. Sort soiled and contaminated laundry in the laundry area before washing.
3.3.1. Wear appropriate PPE.
- Transport laundry contaminated with blood or other body fluids in bags or containers labeled with the biohazard symbol or put in red bags in a manner that will prevent leakage.
4.1. Separate soiled and contaminated laundry and wash in separate loads
- Handle, transport and store clean laundry by methods that will ensure non-contamination and cleanliness.
5.1. Do not transport clean laundry in the same containers as soiled and/or contaminated laundry.
5.2. Do not wear the same gloves or protective clothing worn while handling soiled and/or contaminated laundry when handling clean laundry.
- The VTH caretakers will sanitize and disinfect laundry buckets or containers when requested.
- The water temperature and amount of bleach used per load is dependent upon the particular equipment used.
Definitions (if applicable)
Contaminated laundry: Soiled linens, scrubs, lab coats, towels, bedding, etc. with blood or other potentially infectious and contagious body fluids.
NOG- “Not Our Garment” any item that is not provided by Cintas that is sent to be laundered.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)- Personal protective equipment may include items such as gloves, safety glasses and shoes, earplugs or muffs, hard hats, respirators, or coveralls, vests and full body suits.
Soiled laundry: Used linens, scrubs, lab coats, towels, bedding, etc. in the hospital that areunclean but not contaminated with infectious contagious agents.
Veterinary Teaching Hospital (VTH): The collective clinical services of the Large Animal Clinic, Midwest Equine, the Small Animal Clinic, and the Veterinary Medicine South Clinic.