Faculty Professional Development Funds
VTH Policy # ProDev703
Implementation Date: 9/24/2021
Date of Last Revision: 9/24/2021
Next Review Due: 9/24/2023
Reviewed by VTH Administrative Team: 9/22/2021
Reviewed by VTH Board: N/A
Revised Director / Section Head Approval: 9/24/2021
Reviewed by Biosecurity Subcommittee: N/A
Subject to modification by the VTH Director without approval.
Veterinary Teaching Hospital (VTH) Faculty are encouraged to give presentations and receive training that advances their area of study, enhances the reputation of the University, and provides for professional development. Faculty receive funding each fiscal year to be used for their own professional development while employed in this capacity by the University of Illinois.
Faculty professional development can be funded from the following:
- Indirect Cost Recovery (ICR) Funds allocations for Professional Development for the first 3 years of employment as a Faculty, as negotiated in offer letters
- VTH/Veterinary Clinical Medicine (VCM) Faculty Professional Development Fund allocated annually to each Faculty
Only Faculty with a 25% or greater clinical appointment and who generate VTH revenue through patient care will receive the VTH allocated funds.
Faculty may use their Faculty Professional Development Fund to offset costs associated with courses, seminars, manuscript/publication fees, veterinary professional memberships, conference registration fees, and exam registration fees. These funds can also be used to cover travel expenses associated with the Faculty’s professional development.
Professional development funds are not intended to fund research.
All use of professional development funds must be approved by the Department Head and must not exceed the available funding.
All fund use must benefit the University of Illinois.
University funds may be used during the period encompassing the Faculty’s employment to cover expenses associated with professional development. Faculty no longer employed by the University do not have access to professional development funds.
Procedure (if applicable)
1. VCM/VTH ICR Allocation
- Upon hire, the Faculty will receive an agreed upon amount in their ICR account. This annual amount is outlined in offer letters and is allocated each year for a defined period, typically 3 years.
- Each Faculty will have access to the total amount available in their designated fund, and the account balance will be rolled over each year until termination of employment.
- ICR funds not spent will be forfeited back to the VCM upon termination of Faculty employment.
2. VCM/VTH Faculty Professional Development Fund
- VCM/VTH will provide Faculty with professional development not to exceed $2,000 annually. This will be funded in equal parts by the VTH and VCM department.
i. An exception is Faculty who are receiving ICR professional development funding during the first 3 years of hire, as indicated in Procedure #1 above. These faculty will receive VCM/VTH funds once the ICR fund arrangement has expired.
- Each Faculty will have access to the total amount available in their designated fund, and the account balance will be rolled over for one year. If available funds are not spent within 2 years, the funds will revert back to the VTH/VCM.
- Faculty funds not spent will be forfeited back to the VTH/VCM upon termination of Faculty employment.
Definitions (if applicable)
Faculty – An employee of the VTH/VCM serving in a clinical role with primary patient care duties in the VTH.
Indirect Cost Recovery (ICR) Funds – The "recovery" of institutional costs incurred by the University to support projects. The recovery is reallocated to centrally funded functions to ensure the continued support. Faculty may receive ICR as negotiated in their offer letters.
Professional Development – An activity that is necessary or beneficial to the success of a veterinary professional.
Veterinary Teaching Hospital (VTH): The collective clinical services of the Large Animal Clinic, Midwest Equine, the Small Animal Clinic, and the Veterinary Medicine South Clinic.