Animal Excrement Cleaning - Small Animal Clinic
Purpose / Applicability: The purpose of this SOP is to describe the procedure for Animal Excrement cleaning and disinfection in the Small Animal Clinic.
Scope: The areas in the Small Animal Clinic where animals have left excrement will be cleaned and disinfected as needed.
Excrement- Any waste matter excreted from the human or animal body, or discharged by bodily organs.
• Disposable latex or vinyl gloves
• Paper towel
• Rescue- Accelerated Hydrogen Peroxide, one-step germicidal disinfectant cleaner and deodorant (0.5% hydrogen peroxide) in spray bottle or mop with bucket
- Wear disposable latex or vinyl gloves.
- Pre-clean soiled area using paper towel to remove the excrement.
- Dispose of excrement in trash.
a. If possible biohazard, dispose in biohazard trash
b. If animal has had chemotherapy, please see an Oncology staff member for specific instruction.
- Spray Rescue 6-8 inches from the surface.
a. Alternately, you may use a mop and bucket with Rescue cleaner
- Allow surface to remain wet for 1 minute.
- Wipe surface dry or allow to air dry
Last reviewed: 9/9/2022