Topics Map > Help and Training > Help Desk
Help Desk, What support is provided by the Help Desk?
What does the Technology Services Help Desk provide support for? What services does it not provide?
Technology Services is committed to helping students, faculty, and staff at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign with their technology questions and problems as they pertain to University services. Below are examples of what the Help Desk can and cannot assist with. Please note this is not an exhaustive list. If you need assistance with something we cannot help with, please review our list of local resources - Help Desk, Tech Support Referral Resources.
Examples of things the Help Desk can assist with:
- General account & login issues
- Note, some systems are not managed by Technology Services and we may need to refer you to a different help desk.
- Your university email account
- Connecting to the University wireless networks and VPN
- General assignment classroom AV support
Examples of things the Help Desk does NOT assist with:
- Hardware issues (broken screen, laptop touchpad not working, charging issues, data backup and retrieval, etc.)
- If you are having a hardware problem with a University-owned device, you should reach out to your departmental IT.
- If you are having a hardware problem with your personal device, please refer to our list of local vendors you can reach out to: Help Desk, Tech Support Referral Resources.
- Non University-provided software (i.e. if you purchased Microsoft Office independently). You should reach out to the vendor of the software for further support.
- Virus/malware removal
- The Help Desk can assist with starting an antivirus/malware scan, but cannot provide further support.
- Teaching you how to use a computer
- OS installs/reinstalls, setting up your computer
- Recommending a computer for school. It is usually best to contact your department for recommendations on operating system and specifications.
- In-home support