Zoom, Event Hosting with the General Public
This article describes how to configure a publicly accessible Zoom event.
Visit https://illinois.zoom.us and log in with your NetID and password to find the various settings in the instructions below.
Before Scheduling your event, check the following Zoom Settings:
|Your Zoom Meetings and Zoom Webinars are passcode protected by default and can be edited if necessary. The passcode is encrypted and embedded in your meeting link. Please consider how and to whom you share your event's passcode.|
Only Authenticated users can join with web client: ON
- This setting affects Zoom Meetings and Zoom Webinars.
- Turning ON this setting will require any user who attempts to join via the Zoom web client (web browser) to sign in with a University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign NetID and password.
- Anyone with UIC and UIS NetIDs and passwords will not be able to log in using the web client if this setting is enabled. They will need to access the meeting using the Zoom mobile or desktop application.
|The setting "only authenticated users can join from web client" applies to ALL your previous, current and future scheduled events, without the need to re-edit individual or recurring events one by one.|
Scheduling Your Event
Ensure you have:
- A meeting or webinar passcode
- If the attendees are limited to University of Illinois guests
- Enable "Only authenticated users can join meetings" with "Illinois email accounts" selected
- OR require that attendees create and sign into any type of Zoom account.
- Enable "Only authenticated users can join meetings" with "Sign into Zoom.us"
|We strongly recommend that you do NOT turn off authentication for meetings and webinars of any kind.|
Require registration for a more secure way to share your meeting publicly
- Learn more about setting up registration for a Zoom Meeting.
- Learn more about scheduling a Zoom Webinar with registration.
- If you have purchased a Zoom Webinar license, the settings should look something like this:
When inviting participants and promoting your event
PLEASE DO NOT SHARE THE LINK TO JOIN YOUR ZOOM MEETING ON SOCIAL MEDIA OR ANY OTHER PUBLICLY VIEWABLE LOCATION
Share the invitation either using a campus email service or by requiring registration.
If you decided to use Zoom's registration tool, you can edit and manage registrants at the bottom of the specific meeting window, in your illinois.zoom.us profile.
Learn how to manage and edit registration at: Zoom Support, Customizing registration options.
For more information about how to protect the features within your meeting please visit our Zoom, Protecting your events article.