Topics Map > Teaching and Learning > Illinois Compass 2G
Illinois Compass 2g, Create Blackboard Collaborate Web Conferencing Session
Instructors can create and configure Blackboard Collaborate sessions in Illinois Compass 2g. Students can create and configure Blackboard Collaborate sessions in Compass 2g as owners of COLLABORATION or RESEARCH type spaces.
- Log into your Compass space.
- Enable the Blackboard Collaborate tool: https://answers.uillinois.edu/illinois/page.php?id=59349
- Select Blackboard Collaborate from Course Tools.
- On the Blackboard Collaborate landing page, you will find two options to launch rooms and an option to create a session.
- Course Room: the first room is called the Course Room. It automatically takes the name of the course but this can be changed. The Course room will remain available for the duration of the course and does not need to be scheduled. Attendance in this room cannot be added to the Grade Center.
- My Room: the second room is a private room which is automatically created for instructors and administrators. The same room/same links are shared over all of the courses that you may own. It can be used for Office Hours, meetings or for practice.
- Schedule a Session: the third type of room is one that can be scheduled.
- Click Create Session to create and schedule a new session.
- Complete the Session Information and Room Options.
- Enter a Session Name – the course name will be the default
- Enter a Start and End Time
- If you want the session to Repeat, click the Off button to toggle it On.
- By default 15 minutes will be selected for the Early session entry. This sets the number of minutes prior to the Start Time, participants may enter the session.
- Teleconference Options
- Use Built in: will dynamically generate the conference call number, leader PIN, and participant PIN. Students and guests accessing a session will see this information before they enter the room.
- Use third party: you need to provide the information users require for access to the session.
- Do not use teleconference: users can hear the session through their computer speakers or a
USB headset. With a headset, outside noises and echoes are diminished.
VoIP also helps you distinguish among speakers. Microphone icons appear next to participants' names when they speak. For large classes, this can help you understand who is grasping the material or who needs additional help.
When you select the third party or built-in teleconference options, Blackboard Collaborate cannot visually indicate who in the participant list is speaking.
- Room Attributes
Recording Mode - Controls the recording for the session.
- Manual – Moderators manually start and pause the recording
- Automatic – recording starts
automatically when the first participants
enters the room
- Disabled – session will not be recorded
- All users join as participants – default choice so that all participants only have the participant
- All users join as moderators – can be used if creating a study room or similar and there is not specifically assigned individual to facilitate/moderate the session
- Assign access – Restrict who can join this session as a moderator or a participant. If this option is chosen, you must assign all participants and moderators to the session.
Individuals who are not enrolled in a course can be invited to join using a URL. The URL is automatically generated when the session is created. It will display in a green banner at the top of the Blackboard Collaborate landing page.
Email Invitation – guests can also be invited to join a session by sending an email invitation directly from the course.
- Locate the session and click invite guests.
- Enter the email address of the guest who should be invited and click Add and Done.
Web conferencing sessions can be recorded and access to the recorded session is available from the course.
- From the landing page select Recordings
- Locate the desired recording and Click the Play button
- Click the chevron next to the name of the recording to find the recording options menu