Tech Services Endpoint Services, Munki, Offboarding Munki Devices
Instructions on removing devices from the Multi-Tenant Munki service.
Munki Mac Endpoint Management
University of Illinois IT Pros leveraging Munki Mac Endpoint Management
When a Mac is retired from Multi-Tenant Munki, the following actions should be taken to properly offboard it from the service. This keeps the service lean and running smoothly, and also cuts down on unnecessary charges to units.
- Run MTM Offboarding Package
- Delete MTM portal record
- Delete MunkiReport record
- Delete Munki manifest
- Delete Workspace ONE record
Before proceeding with the remaining offboarding steps, ensure that the Multi-Tenant Munki tools and configuration have been removed from the client, either by downloading and running the offboarding pkg, or by wiping the hard drive.
Deleting retired computer records from the MTM portal is especially important if the computer is still usable when sent to Surplus. If another unit retrieves the computer for use, they will be unable to onboard it to their Munki repo if a portal record exists in a different unit's repo.
To delete a portal record:
- Search for the computer record in the MTM portal.
- Click on the computer name to open the 'Edit Computer' window.
- Click the 'Delete Computer' button, and then the 'Confirm Delete' button.
If you accidentally delete a record for the wrong Mac: that Mac will not be able to connect to the Multi-Tenant Munki service, and will need to be re-onboarded.
To maintain an accurate picture of the state of your Mac fleet, delete computer records from MunkiReport when devices are retired. This should be done after devices are wiped, when no further possibility exists for the computer to report in to MunkiReport and create a new record. Deleting retired devices from MunkiReport also cuts down on unnecessary charges to units.
To delete a MunkiReport record:
- In MunkiReport, go to Listings - Clients to view the Client Report.
- Enter the computer name or serial number in the top-right search field to locate the computer record.
- While still in the Client Report, select the 'Edit' button above the search field; you are now in edit mode.
- Click the red 'X' beside the computer(s) to be deleted. There is no bulk delete action available, so each record must be individually deleted.
- When all deletions are complete, click 'Edit' again to toggle out of edit mode.
If you accidentally delete a record for the wrong Mac, a new record will simply be created the next time Munki runs on that Mac, usually every hour or two.
While MunkiReport offers a very useful archive feature, archiving should not be used in lieu of deleting records for offboarding, since it will not end monthly billing for the client.
Deleting unused Munki manifests will help you more easily navigate your unit repo, and will also shorten MunkiAdmin load time.
To delete an unused manifest from your repo:
- Connect to your Munki repo using MunkiAdmin.
- Go to the Manifests tab, and search the list for the manifest to be deleted.
- Right-click (or Ctrl-click) on the manifest and select 'Delete manifest' from the contextual menu.
- Click 'Save' to write your changes back to the MTM server.
If you accidentally delete the manifest for the wrong Mac: you will need to create a new manifest for that Mac via the 'Force Retemplating' checkbox in the MTM Portal.
Deleting a retired device from the Workspace ONE console frees up the license, and also cuts down on unnecessary unit charges.
To delete a Workspace ONE device record:
- Log in to the Workspace ONE console.
- Go to Devices - List View
- Enter the computer name or serial number in the top-right search field to locate the device record.
- Check the box to the left of the device to be deleted, and from the 'More Actions' dropdown, choose Admin - Delete Device.
- Enter a reason for the deletion, and click 'Next'.
- Enter your security PIN when prompted.
If you accidentally delete the wrong device record: the deleted device will need to be re-enrolled into Workspace ONE.